Chaos Erupts at Memphis Putt Putt Center
Chaos erupts at a Memphis Putt Putt center after hundreds of teens were dropped off for a day of fun.
Things quickly turned chaotic when some of the teens got upset when they were refused refunds when managers decided it was time to shut down for the night when things got a little too unruly.
A police report says parents just started dropping off their children. Suddenly, there was a crowd of 300 to 400 people, causing the business to be in violation of the COVID-19 compliance.
A manager at the facility posted online this week that things were fine until people started cutting in line at the go kart track.
“While security and other team members tried to get the line back in order, the decision was made to suspend ticket sales in an effort to be sure everyone got their appropriate number of rides,” the business said.
This all happened about at about 7pm on Saturday night.
The verbal sparring escalated and that's when managers decided they better shut things down early and close for the night.
The company said they were about to start issuing refunds when a group “started screaming and yelling about their refund. To protect the staff and other guest, it was announced no refunds at this time.”
That's when things escalated and the teenage girl started tearing up the plexiglass barrier at the counter. But her father says an employee spit on her and that's what sparked the flare up. The teenager can be seen spitting on one of the workers.
On the video, you can see the teen throw the divider along with metal rope stands across a counter, where employees are standing.
The center’s general manager, Aaron Boss, issued this statement:
Unfortunately, we had an incident that we have never experienced in 57 years of business. Parents chose to leave large groups of teenagers at our facility without their supervision. Some of those people chose to create a disturbance the likes of which we have never seen. We are very thankful that none of our Golf and Games family or customers were injured during this situation. We are actively trying to identify those involved and hold them accountable for their actions. Going forward, any minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Anyone that is left unattended will be asked to leave. We have been the Memphis area’s locally owned place for family entertainment for nearly six decades. We will always welcome those who choose to share their family experiences with us. Please understand this is not a reflection of us or our park. We look forward to serving you soon.”
No one was hurt and so far only one 13-year-old boy has been charged with disorderly conduct.
On Monday, the company also clarified that they are still giving refunds to those who want one.