12 Things About Shreveport Y2K Survivors Will Need To Be Told
As we prepare to welcome 2020, a lot of people are excited for a new decade. While others are looking back on this last decade, making lists to rank the best and worst of the last ten years.
But there's something else we need to be concerned about.
About this time 20 years ago, the Y2K crisis was in full effect. Panic was setting in across the US (and world), with an estimated 8%-10% of the population totally convinced that the Y2K crisis would bring cataclysmic results to society.
Don't believe me? Don't remember 1999 that well? Check this out:
So it's safe to assume there were some folks in the Shreveport area who were so concerned about Y2K that they went to extreme measures. It's a possibility that they even constructed Y2K bunkers with the intent to hide for 20 years, giving the world enough to to rebuild itself before they reemerged.
Well, that 20 year timer is about to ding. Those Y2K survivors will be coming out of their bunkers, and they're going to find a Shreveport that wasn't destroyed by the Y2K "bug". But they will find a Shreveport that looks A LOT different than they remember.
So to make sure we're all on the same page with these Shreveport Y2K survivors, here are the 12 things we'll have to explain to them about Shreveport in 2020:
- The Shreveport Captains are gone.
- A whole bunch of big budget movies and TV shows were filmed in Shreveport.
- The Municipal underwent huge renovations and is now a historical landmark.
- Living in Benton can now be considered bougie.
- You can stay on a freeway from Texarkana, through Shreveport, and to New Orleans now.
- The guy who owned the Miss USA Pageant while it was in Shreveport is now the President of the United States.
- The New Orleans Saints won a Super Bowl.
- LSU won two National Championships in Football. A kid from Evangel led them to one of those.
- There's a Convention Center in downtown Shreveport, and the CenturyLink Center is a giant concert venue in Bossier City.
- Shreveport has a big comic con now.
- We had an Arena League Football team, but it's gone now.
- It's still the same busted up Jimmie Davis Bridge.