WWE Battleground Features a Punjabi Prison Match
WWE has been experiencing some incredible highs and lows, all in the span of just a few weeks.
Some of the highs include AJ Styles winning the US Championship at a house show, and the biggest low in a long time was the buildup to Kurt Angle's big announcement, that dudded out with a poorly executed "illegitimate son" story line. Which we could get really deep into how having a kid in college that you didn't know about won't ruin your current job as the General Manager of a pro wrestling brand, but we can do that another time.
Let's talk about this weekend's PPV event instead. That would be Battleground, a randomly inserted mid-card PPV that now belongs to the Smackdown brand. Great Balls of Fire, the latest Raw PPV, set a pretty high bar for PPVs for this year, but it seems like they went way overboard to over-compensate for people mocking the name.
This PPV won't be great (Balls of Fire), but it might not be terrible, it might really all depend on the Punjabi Prison match. Which is going to be tough, because every Punjabi Prison match they've ever tried has ended horribly. But maybe Randy Orton and Jinder Mahal will be able to do better than anyone before.
As far as who's going to steal the show, pretty sure it will be AJ Styles and Kevin Owens.
Here's the full rundown of matches
- Punjabi Prison match for the WWE Championship: Randy Orton vs. Jinder Mahal
- Flag match: John Cena vs. Rusev
- United States Championship Match: AJ Styles vs. Kevin Owens
- Fatal 5-Way Elimination Match: Charlotte vs. Becky Lynch vs. Natalya vs. Tamina vs. Lana
- Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Baron Corbin
- SmackDown Tag Team Championship Match: The New Day vs. The Usos
- Kickoff Show: Tye Dillinger vs. Aiden English