Use Extra Caution While Driving During Severe Weather
Louisiana DOTD reminds drivers to use extra caution if they'll be driving during the state's severe weather system.
The major storm system is moving east across the United States, and many areas in Louisiana are expected to be hit with heavy rain.
Motorists should utilize the following safety tips while driving during unfavorable weather conditions:
• Drive slowly and carefully.
• Avoid driving while distracted.
• Always allow for extra driving time.
• Reduce speeds when visibility is low.
• Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles.
• Avoid driving into standing or running water.
• Avoid using highway overpasses as tornado shelters.
Check the status of road conditions before beginning your commute, since it's possible some roads will be closed due to high water. You can sign up for automatic and up-to-date information on local projects, lane and road closures and other DOTD activity by signing up for MyDOTD.