Thousands of local residents are trying to dry out after the 2016 flood.  The first step is to dry everything out thoroughly before you begin to clean.

The quicker you take action, the better off you will be in minimizing the damage. The key is to get the water out of your house quickly. The longer it sits in your house, the more damage the water will cause.

The amount of water in your home doesn't really matter. Even if you only got a couple of inches, you still have to follow the protocol to dry out everything.

Here are some steps you need to follow to begin the recovery effort:

1. Get all your property out of the home

The quicker you can get things out of your house, the better. Pull up all carpets and get it out of the house.

2. Get rid of the standing water

If you don't have power, you will have to do it the hard way with towels, mops and buckets. A wet/dry vac would be helpful if you have power, but be sure to plug it into outlets far away from the water.

3. Dry out the affected areas

Use fans and a dehumidifier to help dry out your home. Open all windows on sunny days to help speed up the drying process. High powered fans are best if you can find some. They are in short supply in Shreveport Bossier right now. Again, speed is very important. The water creeps up the sheet rock and insulation act as sponges and the moisture will continue to spread. If the water has climbed up the drywall, you will have to cut out all the sections touched by water. You will also have to remove the baseboard and trim. If it was wood, you probably can not save it.

4. Disinfect

This is probably the most critical stage. You will have to go over every inch of your home once and most likely twice to be sure you get rid of all of the bacteria. All walls will have to be thoroughly cleaned.

5. Fight mold

Once everything is completely dry, you can then begin to battle the mold. The product that is recommended by experts is Concrobium mold remover. You can find it at Lowes and Home Depot or order it online. This product is non-toxic and is made with distilled water. You can use it on furniture, walls, and your floors. You put this on and let it dry overnight.

Some helpful websites:

Webmd

Concrobium

More cleanup tips