Louisiana’s Most Mis-Pronounced Town Names
Okay let's face it. Louisiana is truly different than any of the other 49 states. We have parishes; not counties.
We're so French/Acadian based that we even practice "Napoleonic Law" instead of whatever kind of law they practice in other states.
And when it comes to naming our towns, we have a wonderful mixture of names rich with French and Indian culture.
And here's a list of those towns who get mispronounced the most often:
- Zwolle. Let a foreigner look at the Zwolle city limits sign and watch their eyes glaze over.
- Amite. Is it Am-meet or A-mit?
- Natchitoches. Always funny when a new person here at the station tries to pronounce this one for the first time.
- Thibodaux. Get it right for a free beignet
- Coushatta. And how often have you heard radio/television commercials that just couldn't pronounce this one right?
- Grosse Tete
- And heck they even mispronounce Bossier City.
Just watch some of these California yuppies try to pronounce Louisiana city names. It's a guaranteed laugh.